If I were to review my blog to determine the word I use the most, you might think it would be "exercise" or "fitness" but my guess is that it would be "food." I seem to write about food a lot and it's probably because food is such a big part of our lives.
White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 small garnet yam, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. smoked sweet paprika, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15.5-oz. cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 8 minutes, or until lightly caramelized, stirring often.
2. Add kale, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in yam, paprika, curry powder, and bay leaf; cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant.
3. Add broth, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes, or until kale and yam are tender. Purée 1 cup beans with 3/4 cup water in blender or food processor. Add purée and remaining beans to soup. Simmer 10 minutes, then stir in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with paprika. Serves 6.
Per SERVING: Calories: 165, Protein: 9g, Total fat: 2.5g, Saturated fat: 0.5g, Carbs: 34g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 543mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 7g