Monday, January 9, 2012

Stick it to the Ick


"Brrr, stick 'em, ha-ha-ha, stick ' em" --Beastie Boys


After being cooped up for five days and repressed by some viral/bacterial ick, it was immediately healing to lace up my new Kinvara running shoes and slip on my new, neon-yellow Gore cycling/running jacket (both generous Christmas gifts, compliments of Santa and Mom).

The instant I stepped out of my stuffy house and inhaled the cool, crisp January air, my frame of mine switched from illness to wellness.


I set out for an easy 2-3 mile run. Within the first ten minutes, I knew I'd run 3. Despite my body feeling a bit tired and sluggish, my stride felt smooth, effortless.

At the half way point, I was surprised to see that I was running my best pace in weeks; a full minute/mile faster than my past few runs. As I turned around and headed for home, my pace continued to decrease despite it being the more uphill and headwind leg of the route and the fact that I wasn't adding any intervals. I was reacquainted with my former negative-split self for the first time in a long time. "Hello, negative-split self!" :)

I wanted to shout from the rooftops: "I'm healed! I'm healed!" Or maybe break into song; a twist on Irene Cara's tune:

What a feeling, bein's believin'
I can have it all, now I'm runnin' for my life
Take your passion, and make it happen
Pictures come alive, you can run right through your life . . .

I'm not quite sure what happened out there today but I will chalk it up to being extra well-rested.

Oh, and by the way, take that, ick.

Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment