Friday, October 22, 2010

Run in Color

This is one of my favorite times of year to run--crisp, cool air, bright sunny skies. Today I marveled at the vibrant color all around me; white, puffy clouds in a baby blue sky, trees in shades of red, orange, gold and green; it was a perfect day to run. Wish my body was into it as much as my heart and mind were.

After lifting for 30 mins and taking my dog for her daily mile walk and Frisbee romp, I put on my Vibram Five Fingers and ran an easy mile. It felt light and effortless. I recently read that running barefoot should account for no more than 10% of total weekly mileage.

So, after a mile, I exchanged my Vibrams for my Kenvara lightweight trainers and, light though they may be, I still don't feel as free and my knees felt tight. But, I did have some extra cushioning on the forefoot which was good because the balls of my feet were feeling a bit sore. Despite the gorgeous weather, I wrapped it up at 3 miles; for a total of 4 today.

The Vibrams are still my favorite but after suffering a metatarsal stress fracture this summer while running in them, I feel cautious. My feet are stronger but I'm still going to take it easy and stick to the 10% rule.

I've posted a photo of my favorite footwear; nappy feet and all. (I'm in no danger of becoming a foot model!)

No comments:

Post a Comment