Sunday, November 14, 2010

High heels are the devil


I totally took the day off yesterday from all my usual habits--no exercise, no blogging, no healthy foods.


That's not to say I had the day off. It was the last day of soccer season for my three girls and they had games at 8:30 AM, 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM. The 1:30 game was followed by a team party. So, basically, we were on the soccer fields all day and food was the grab-and-go variety.


At 7 PM, we had a neighborhood party to attend. I wore a pair of cute heels--something I rarely do but thought I would fancy up a bit for the get-together.


Totally regret it!


My body was wrecked today and not from something fun or festive like jammin' on the dance floor or knocking back libations. Oh, no. My discomfort was caused by standing for three hours straight in 3" heels! So. not. worth. it!


Here I shall list my grievances: lower back pain, hip pain, knee pain, ankle pain and general foot and fascia pain. I have finally recovered enough from my running injuries that I'm back up to 15 pain-free miles a week. And, to think I flirted with a set back over wearing a pair of heels! What was I thinking?

Over the years, I have learned to embrace my flat shoes and the benefit of no shoes at all, so I will try to remember what I've learned the next time the frivolous footwear calls to me from the depths of my closet. High heels are the devil!


Running and lifting was on my schedule for today. Fortunately, the balmy temps and availability of a sitter were smiling upon me and, instead, my husband and I were able to enjoy a 30-mile ride together. Heaven! Plus, after spending half the morning in rag doll trying to ease my aches and pains, it was cycling that finally put my body right again.


Which leads to another bonus . . . I won't need to sweat it out at the spin class tomorrow. (Dreaded indoor spinning--a necessary off-season evil). Instead, I have rescheduled my run for tomorrow and will again enjoy the outdoors on another beautiful fall day.


No comments:

Post a Comment