Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hit me baby one more time

Every post-Savage bike ride I've had I think will be my last, so I'm thrilled that it's mid-November and I'm still able to get out there and crank out a 50-mile ride once every two weeks. Today was sunny and 58 degrees with light winds and the availability of a primo pit stop--doesn't get much better than that, especially this time of year!

Though, I must admit, it gets a little harder each time. It's one thing to pull 50+ miles when I'm riding regularly, but gritting one out every 14 days or so is a bigger challenge. My first 25-mile leg was strong, but on the return trip my quads were crying out around mile 15. With seven miles left to go, my back, neck and shoulders joined the party. But, I welcome it as a sign of a good effort and an effective workout, the "hurts so good" kind of hurt. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right?

I wonder, though: will this be my last ride of the year?

Well, I'm too tired to write much more today (which is actually already tomorrow) so I will close with a big thank you to our military men and women for their service to our great country--a country where I am free to go out and ride by myself, anywhere I want to go, anytime, wearing shorts even! (imagine!) and I don't fear for my safety; I am not breaking any laws. I don't take it for granted that there are many women in this world who do not have this freedom. I hope that someday any woman, anywhere in this world, can hop on a bike at will, choose her own path and just ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment