Saturday, November 6, 2010

The one that (almost) got away

Today was one of those days that kept slipping through my fingers and I wasn't sure if I'd get a workout in or not, even though I'd only planned to lift since I ran two days in a row--a first since the fracture in July.

I spent the morning freezing on the soccer fields watching my girls play and, afterward, all I wanted to do was warm up (and eat). Of course, the fastest way to warm up would have been to workout, but instead I had lunch, then a half caf cuppa with my husband (once again looking for that motivation in a mug) and maybe I am building some immunity to the caffeine in such low doses because all I wanted to do was sleep. But I didn't. I'm not sure what I did, but an hour slipped by, then two, then three and then . . . my dog! She needed to get out and that is finally what spurred me into action. I swear, owning a dog really is one of the best ways to make sure you stay fit. There is a great saying that I love: "If your dog is overweight, then you are not getting enough exercise." So true!

So off we went, my dog getting to read the newspaper (ie, sniff the ground) and me getting to (increase my heart rate and) marvel at the sun filtering through the clouds, creating a beautiful silver ring around each one, its rays illuminating the leaves on the trees bringing the colors to life--a view I wouldn't have gotten from my couch.

The lift I got from that walk carried me through to the gym wear I enjoyed a lift of a different kind--the kind that includes hand weights and crunches.

So, the day almost got away from me, but I'm grabbed hold of it just in time. Which reminds me of another saying I love: "You'll never regret the workouts you get, only the ones you let get away."

No comments:

Post a Comment