Monday, November 1, 2010

Legal drugs

When my hands started shaking so badly I could barely tie my shoes, I knew it was time for my run--and it would be a good one!

After taking a 6-month break from caffeine, the boost I get from it now is amazing. Even green tea will give me a kick. So, each day, I assess my caffeine needs based on what I have to accomplish and how motivated I am. I mean, really, the stuff is awesome--such a performance enhancer, and it's legal!

Today was one of those days where I had too much to do in too little time and I wasn't feeling particularly peppy. It would have been so easy to blow off my workout and an afternoon appointment to stay home and dig in. Instead, I dialed up my caffeine requirement to max, brewed a pot of full-test, and before long I was quivering in my slippers.

While I waited for the caffeine to kick in, I dragged myself to the gym for a 30-minute lifting session. I really didn't want to, but I kept repeating the phrase "just do it, just do it" because it really is as simple as that. Nike struck gold with that slogan.

A few squats later I was warmed up, caffeine moving through my veins, and then it was run time. I got my first stitch in ages, which could have been from not focusing on my breath, from running so fast, or from my lungs not being prepared to inhale 43 degree air. (I'm putting my money on running fast--haha!) Luckily, it didn't last long and I logged 4.5 miles in just under 40 minutes--not bad after being benched for so long.

Hopefully I ran fast enough to burn the chips & cheese and three mini candy bars I scarfed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment