Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rest is relative

Today was a "rest" day. Some of these are by choice, others are forced by the schedule. Today was a bit of both.

Since I lifted and ran on Saturday, I did not plan a workout for today, though if the kids had not been off school for election day, I probably would have tried to cross-train with an easy walk or hike. My muscles, especially my quads, are sore from my new lifting workout which included lunges with weights.

But "rest" is a relative word. I did not break a sweat or raise my heart rate as the result of a workout. Instead, I carpooled kids to playdates and birthday parties and doctor appointments, cleaned the house, did a couple loads of laundry, started dismantling Halloween, went to the grocery store to pick up produce and prescriptions, went to vote, made those mind-numbing, time consuming phone calls to insurance companies and doctors offices, canceled subscriptions and made appointments.

Finally, it was time to make dinner--homemade spinach pesto on whole wheat pasta--and pack lunches for school tomorrow. And, oh yeah, empty the dishwasher (again) and clean the kitchen (again).

If this is considered a "rest" day, I'll take a hard, heart-pounding, sweat-inducing workout any day of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment