Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dually inspired



I can honestly say that this is the first time since training started this season that I was really ready to ride; my head was in the game. I don't know if it was the beautiful day or the inspiring stories I was reading pre-ride in a Runner's World special on trail running, but I do know it was one of the best rides yet.

After the traditional Easter morning festivities, I set out to explore my spiritual side on my two-wheeled "church." The wildflowers were breathtaking, the rolling fields astonishingly green, flowers were in bloom everywhere; the ride went by in a swirl of color, connecting mind, body and spirit, unearthing feelings of gratitude, and providing space to reflect on the many blessings in my life. As the Eagles might croon: "I get a peaceful, easy feeling."

Four weeks from today is my first race of the season. So, for the next three weeks, it's double workouts and mini-bricks until taper time in week four.

Today's ride:
Miles: 34
Calories burned: over 1900
Max speed: 41 mph

Followed by a mini-brick:
1-mile Vibram form run (with my girls, who are training for a Kid's Triathlon)

It wasn't fast, but it was good for another 100+ calories, putting me over 2,000 for today's workout burn (hopefully enough to keep me in the red despite the day's extra chocolate!)

Fuel:
Breakfast: Power oatmeal; water
Pre-ride: Coffee with soy milk, whole wheat English Muffin with almond butter & honey
Hydration: 22 oz electrolyte drink, 44 oz water
Post-ride: Whey protein & soy milk shake, orange, edamame
Dinner: Three-mushroom risotto, green salad, red wine

For you 'shroom lovers out there, the risotto is delicious. Please visit Triathlon Mom on Facebook at www.facebook.com/triathlonmama for the recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment