Sunday, April 10, 2011

Techno training


I am tech challenged, and I've always been perfectly happy to exercise without knowing every little statistic of my workout. In fact, I've always felt that I was better served to listen to my body (and my iPod) rather than try to align my speed with a pre-determined pace.

Well, times they are a-changing. My husband, the engineer, has always been the stat guy. He enjoys plotting our routes on Map My Ride and crunching the numbers for our race courses. Last year he got a GPS watch and can now pull data from the watch and overlap it with the course to find out precisely which hill elicited the highest heart rate.

A few months ago, my very basic digital watch--which, by that point, could do nothing more than show clock time (albeit off by an hour and several minutes) and retained very little of its Velcro ability, finally bit the dust for good. So, I started wearing my husband's watch so, at least, I wouldn't be late getting back to the bus stop.

Surprisingly, I liked it. So much so that now I am a proud owner of a big, hulking GPS watch of my very own. I won't go into detail on all the functions this multi-sport watch provides, but here is a sample of what I learned today:

Today's workout: 30 mile bike ride (I only tracked 27.39 miles of the ride)
Based on miles tracked:
Total ride time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Average speed (too embarrassingly slow share!)
Max speed: 39.6 mph
Calories burned: 1536 (Is that enough for chips & cheese, with some left over?)
Heart rate: (don't have current data on the average, but it ranged from approx 130-180!)

Pretty cool, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment