Sunday, April 24, 2011

Good things come to those who wait



I waited four days to run.

On Monday I experienced lower leg pain, which had been escalating in the days prior, so I decided to listen to my body and take a few days off. After some rest and research, I think the problem was most likely muscle, tendon and ligament-related rather than shin splints, caused by a too sudden increase in mileage and intensity at the same time. Duh. I know I know better, but it never feels like the wrong thing at the time. I'm proud of myself for resisting and resting for four days, though I could have done better with icing; the cup of ice is sitting in the freezer but never actually made contact with my leg. What is it they say about good intentions . . . ?

So, yesterday was the day and, once again, I waited.

The forecast was calling for intermittent storms and rain beginning at 1 PM, so I knew I should probably get out there early and get it done. Alas, I am not much of a morning person and instead decided to take my chances and enjoy a leisurely morning. My husband hit the pavement around 12:30 (while I headed to our basement gym for a round of strength training and a dose of motivation) and he ended up soaked. I waited until 2 PM to run and was treated to sunny skies--and relished that moment of knowing that the early bird doesn't always get the worm ;)

I waited four days to run, chose a relatively flat course and easy pace, and ran without pain.
I waited until afternoon to run, despite the forecast, and ran without rain.

I waited, and won.

Sometimes it's the little victories that keep you going.


No comments:

Post a Comment