Saturday, May 7, 2011

You take the good, you take the bad



The good news is that I ran 3 miles yesterday and my lower legs/shins/anterior tendons or whatever you call them felt pretty good then and they still feel good now. Whether it was the rest, the acupuncture, the pre-run cross friction massage technique (thanks Kari and Andrea), or the soft surface, I don't know, I just hope I can hang on to this feel-good feeling. Since it was a short run, I opted to trot a boring 6 or 7 laps around the same, relatively flat circle for its crushed-gravel surface and give my legs a break from the usual concrete and asphalt.

The bad news is that the boring, but pain-free run was followed by a painfully boring swim. I was going for distance, baby, and omg, in a pool that is indescribably monotonous. Please just shoot me now, was my motivational refrain as I swam back and forth, back and forth. I consoled myself with the thought that the distance was almost a full Iron swim, so I could put that check in the box.

The first 1200 felt pretty good, but by the time I hit 2000 I started to slow down. By 2600 I think I was groaning underwater and by 3000 my hands had morphed into shriveled, wrinkly prunes. And I still had 400 to go. Just shoot me now. (Swim workout #10 below)

But now it's Saturday and yesterday's efforts will allow me to enjoy this day of rest even more as I take in a lacrosse game and then prepare for a true blue date night with my husband that doesn't involve helmets and Hammer Gel. We're off to a comedy show benefit--I'm looking forward to a grown-up night on the town with a lot of laughs and in support of a good cause. (Can't decide if I want to risk wearing the heels, though.)

Yoga insight: "Practice non-attachment; let go of struggling to get things to be a certain way."

Friday's Workout:
3-mile run
3400 swim


Swim workout #10 (3400)

Warm up (200)
100 Free, easy
100 IM, easy

Main Set (3000)*
1000 Free
800 Free
600 Free
400 Free
200 Free
*follow each set with 15 seconds rest)

Cool Down (200)
200 IM order down, Free back; Easy


No comments:

Post a Comment